SI Lights - Unusual Problem (E30)

I have seen what I though was the full range of SI board
problems....and they always meant battery replacement.
Now my 1991 325i is doing something I have never seen or
heard of before.

The service lights were reset recently after an oil change.
As expected 5 green lights prevailed.  But after only a few
days I noticed only 4 lights lit.  Okay, says I, maybe it is
counting down quicker towards and inspection service.
But then next time I started I saw 5 lights again.  Now it
seems to be random whether 5 or 4 lights come on at start.

Has anyone seen this, and if so is it just another indication
of battery failure?  I have none of the other symptoms of bad batteries.

Thanks,
Bob
1991 325i