Re: 8.5" wheels on the front

OLCHA@domain.elided asks:

>Does anyone know why the 8.5" wheels with 245/40-17 Pilots should not work up
>front?  I have been driving around all weekend with them on the front of my
>"97 M3, and they seem great.
>
>If this is okay, what would 2 more 8.5" wheels cost?  I've owned the car
2-1/2
>years, and it's my daily driver.

They should work fine, except that some tires may rub on the spring perch.
If this is the case, use a good quality hubcentric spacer (like the H&R) to
get more clearance.  If you do need to use the spacers, be sure you use a
longer lug bolt, too.

Now, about the 2 wheels - it all depends on what wheels you want to get.
New Double-Spoke II's in 8.5 list at about 500-550 each.  Of course, if
you're a BMW CCA member, you should be able to find a place that will give
you a club discount; if you aren't a member, the discount will more than
pay for a membership.  I don't know what the forged wheels or the Contours
cost - your best bet is to call a dealer or get in touch with one of the
reputable parts places, preferably one of the ones who are active on the
Digest (like Steve D' if he sells this sort of stuff, Stephen
(FLBEARCUB@domain.elided), Josh at Eurosport, Jason at Zionsville, etc., etc.,
etc.).  Your other choice is to buy a used set of rims from a 96+ M3, keep
the 8.5" rims, and either sell the 7.5" rims or use them for track tires...

Hope this helps,

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided