Seeking Court Day Advice

I had mentioned earlier that my '86 325e hit a fire
hydrant and now rests in peace at a car graveyard
in Little Rock. I got ticketed for two offences. One
was unsafe driving (too fast for conditions) and the
other was for defective brakes. There was no radar
equipment involved as the cops arrived a little after
the crash. The speed limit on this particular road is
35 mph. My ticket was based on what I told the cops.
My brake lining light had come on and gone off on
Thurs. I ordered Brake pads from Bavarian and they
did not come here till Tues. My crash occurred a little
after mid night Sat. I was clean as in alcohol free and
neither did the cop test me for that. Neither could the
cops do a comprehensive forensics test as there were
no skid marks on the road. They measured the distance
though between the telephone pole next to the hydrant
to the next pole ahead of it. It had drizzled slightly. It
was a four lane road (two each side) and I was turning
from right to a left side road but as I was turning I
realized I couldn't make it (probably going a little too fast)
and downshifted, by  this time there was oncoming traffic
around the corner. I took evasive action by going over the
pavement and I was headed into an empty parking lot
when something really nasty that I hadn't seen before hit
the car from under breaking the oil pan and bringing the
car to a dead stop -- that was the fire hydrant. Yesterday
I went for a 6 hr. defensive drivers course which is usually
court ordered on my own free will and I now have a certificate.
My court date is on the 17th...I'm a first time offender as
in this is my first ticket ever. I am seeking various ideas
on what I could possibly tell the judge to get the most
lenient sentence or probation. The two offences will cost
$135 each if I have to pay a fine in full. Please respond
via private mail or via the digest if it may help other
digest members who might find themselves in a similar
situation. Thanks.

Mike Theuri