<e28> Cat & Exhaust Hookup

I just purchased a DEC catalytic converter and Boasal exhaust for my '87
535is. In looking at the exhaust and comparing it to the Bentley manual,
there seems to be a mismatch of the pipe connections. I have taken the old
exhaust off yet, I'm just trying to test fit the exhaust on the garage
floor.

On the drivers side, both the cat and the exhaust have a 3-point flange
welded to the pipe end. There is a flat gasket inlcuded to go between these
"fixed" flanges.

On the passenger side, the pipe out of the cat is approx 3-4" longer than
the passenger side cat pipe, and the pipe is unfinished (no flare, and no
flange.)  However, the passenger side of the Bosal exhaust has a flared pipe
with a floating 3-point flange. The installation kit includes a donut gasket
which appears should be positioned between 2-flared pipes and then the
flanges would bolt up (riding against their respective flares) to pull tight
to one another.

Is there something wrong with the pipe configuration of the DEC cat? Is the
elongated straght pipe (passenger side-cat) supposed to insert  into the
opposing flared pipe of the exhaust. Do I re-use the flange from the old
cat" Do I need to cut the
cat pipe to length and have a flare pressed onto the end with the old flange
riding on the pipe. I have attempted to diagram what
I am looking at on the floor

        What I'm seeing with DEC cat.					What
manual manual shows??

flared floating flange