Survey Results: % who auto-x/race etc!

Well folks, I planned on running this out a bit longer, but with the
demise of this forum, I thought I'd just give you the down and dirty...

I received 93 responses. Of those, 66 auto-x, 72 attend drivers schools,
8 race wheel to wheel, and 8 do none of the above.

That's about 71% auto-x, 77% schools, and 9% for race and none.
Obviously, there's a lot of crossover between the autocrossers and
school students. 55 people responded that they do both auto-x and
schools - 59% of the total.

So what does this prove? Nothing, really.

Because of the low number of responses in the negative, I obviously have
skewed results. Those who participate in driving events were motivated
to respond, those who don't apparently ignored the survey in large
numbers. I wouldn't say that 70 something % of the digest participates
in these events.

However, we have at least 72, not 60 who do! It's also obvious that if
~70 people responded in the positive, that there are probably many
others who participate but chose not to respond. Bubba Duane didn't
respond, but I think I've seen his car near a track one or twice. ;-)

As with any survey, you can slice the numbers any way you want. I did
get a response from a Windy City Chapter member who said his figures
show that 6.25% of their ~1600 members autocrossed last year. We had a
very similar figure in the NCC last year. That doesn't count drivers
schools or racing. I think it's very safe to say that the NCC and Windy
city are getting 10% participation in driving events. I think it would
be safe to say that this digest has that level of participation as well,
although this informal survey can't officially answer that question.
- --
Ron Katona