Re: Purchasing a 325ix ?

stephen,

<<My scouts have found me a 88-89 (I forget which) 325ix with 90K that I can
pick-up for $5500. - Should I?>>

yes, you should acquire it!  they are awesome machines, especially in the
snow.  there are some differences between the 88 and 89+.  the 88 came with
pretty much everything like OBC, leather sports seats, electric sunroof and
some other things.  most of these and other items were options on 89+ cars.
also, all 88's are 2 door 5 spds.  they also have a 14" steel spare where
89+ has full size alloy spare.  88's have the larger steel bumber where 89+
has smaller, body colored bumpers.  for more info check out the iX FAQ's at:

http://www.bmwcca.org/misc/iXfaq.htm

this is run by gordon haines, the iX Registry coordinator and the CCA
website administrator/creator.  you can also email gordon directly with
questions as he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

<<- What common problems should I look for/ask about?>>

personally i would run the VIN through carfax (http://www.carfax.com) unless
you know the seller well.  i would definately have the car inspected by an
independant mechanic who will pull the front half shafts and check for wear.
a few have been known to wear prematurely and fail which requires major work
and $$.  other items are ball joints, control arm bushings, timing belt,
basic E30 stuff.  be aware that because of the difference in front end
components the cost/availability of parts is higher/more difficult than with
non-iX E30's.  aftermarket wheels are harder to find also because of the
huge offset of iX wheels (~41mm).  all in all though i love mine and will
likely never get rid of it.  even when i get my E30 M3 later this year!!!
they rule in the winter and are capable in the summer.  i have done very
little to mine as of yet but this spring i will be doing schools, maybe
autox, pizzafest iii (i hope!), suspension mods, new exhaust, etc.  i do
have a JimC chip which rocks!  if you have any other specific questions
please let me know.  i will be glad to answer what i can.

<<PS. Isn't there a ix subculture out on the net?>>

yes, see above.

good luck, i hope it works out for you.  btw, if it is in good shape that
price is quite good.  i paid $9.8k for mine with 113.5k miles (from gordon).
it doesn't have any options really but it is in great shape, just as a point
of reference.  there are a few in the roundel this month also.  let me know
what you decide if you would.

regards,

jack money
motor city chapter