Re: <E30> Fan clutch

>i checked my fan today by attempting to stop it from turning (engine on and
>hot of course) and it stopped very easily.  i could have done it with my
>hand.  so it looks like i need a new fan clutch correct?  i lost the posts
>recently regarding this.  i do have a strange noise coming from the engine
>bay but i thought it was the timing belt tensioner.  could someone please
>write me to discuss this.  thanks in advance.  as always, when i get the
>results i will post them publicly.

When the fan/clutch was in good shape, there was no way you could have
stopped it. When using the throttle while you look at the fan, your hair
should also go stiff backwards due to the airflow, i'll guess that isn't
happening? Then you'll need a new fan. AFAIK the clutch is part of the fan.
Very easy job to replace, allthough you might need a helping pair of hands
and two wrenches. One to keep the nut from turning while turning the
otherside. Clockwise too losen and couterclock to tighten. These things can
be pretty tight; that's why you could use a extra pair of hands.

Greetinx,
MaZe
'86 320i 273k