RE: PIAA Whites

This is an interesting theory, but I doubt that it is right. The reflector
on the back of the headlamp would normally be designed to send out a
collimated(parallel rays of light) light pattern. The reflector would not
focus the light back unto the filament. I would guess that the reason they
claim higher efficiency and bluer light is that they are raising the
pressure or changing the chemical content of the gas surrounding the
filament. This may allow them to raise the temperature of the filament,
which will then give off "bluer" light. Also, the reason that the dichroic
lights look different color off axis is that the dichroic coating is an
interference film that is deposited in increments of thickness so as to
cause destructive or constructive interference at selected
wavelengths(color). When you look off axis, you are looking through the
film at an angle, which makes it optically thicker( remember those sines
and cosines!!), so the constructive/destructive interference wavelength
changes, and the color content is affected.

Mike G
1996 VFR750
1993 BMW 325i, Bilsteins,JC Chip