Final BMW Rolex 24 Update

For those curious, the #10 PTG M3 broke a cam with Bill A on board only
a short time into the race.  That of course ate the engine which was
rebuilt in about 4 hours (against the rules to swap!) and the car was
back on the track, after which it made contact with another while racing
hard.  Retired.  The #6 car blew a head gasket much deeper into the
race, doing nasty things to the engine.  The time left in the race made
repairs futile.

Kudos to the T C Kline prepared #17 M3 that ran a good race.  During the
final wet hours it was running 8 to 12 seconds a lap faster than the two
GT3 leading Porsches, but alas, the race just wasn't long enough for the
effort to make a difference.

The PTG team was cordial and fan-friendly throughout.  Boris Said gave
me permission to souvenir a 2' piece of #10's right fender flare after
its altercation.  It's now on our mantle where my wife says... oh, never
mind what she says.

Bill Auberlein stopped into the BMW corral (Thanks for the corral
Patrick, Carlos Phil and others!) while his motor was being rebuilt.
While there, he signed Carlos's LTW by request.  Bill said don't be
surprised to see a BMW Can Am car (or four of them) next year with
"twice that many" cylinders (6+6=12).  Probably just a nasty rumor that
he heard in casual circles from unreliable sources.

If you didn't go, SHAME ON YOU (yes, I'm yelling)!  Clear your calendar
for next year.  What a party -- cars roaring for days.  Incredible
driving talents.  Great BMW folk.  Heck, even the guys in the Porsche
shirts were cordial (did they feel sorry for us?).

Dave Hogg   NCC