[WOT] Brake Bleeder Tool

A while ago Michael Lee asked about cheap brake bleeder set ups.  Since I=
 just got my system together, I thought I would respond.  Sorry for the=
 way-off-topic topic, but I know a small percentage of readers are=
 interested in their cars and tools for their cars.

I bought the pressure bleeder cap from Steve D. a year or two ago, and I=
 finally got my act together and got the rest of the tools required.  I also=
 got a couple of other handy tools out of the deal.  I now have an air tank=
 that I can use to fill the tires at a driving school, a brake bleeder and a=
 blow gun.

Connectors and Couplers
- -----------------------
Before I explain the individual pieces, I should mention something about=
 connectors and couplers.  When you connect pneumatic tools such as Steve=
 D's brake bleeder cap and connector, you should use teflon tape.  Teflon=
 tape is quite thin and easily stretches.  This tape helps seal very small=
 passages that air can get through.  To reduce the amount of tape I was=
 going to use, I bought a bunch of connectors and couplers from Home Depot,=
 which make connecting and disconnecting easy.  It will also eliminate the=
 need to reapply the teflon tape.

Connectors and couplers are designed to be used together.  The connectors=
 are the male fitting and the couplers are the female fittings.  When you=
 buy the brake bleeder cap from Steve G., you'll get the cap and a=
 male-threaded connector.

With most pneumatic tools, there is an inlet port.  Sometimes, there is an=
 outlet port.  If you think of the air flow as a water flow, it might help=
 with the visualization.  The air flows in one side, and out the other.  On=
 all inlet ports, I have connectors.  On all outlet ports, I have couplers. =
 With this scheme, I'll never have the problem of having two connectors to=
 attach (or two couplers).

Home Depot was really great for stocking connectors and couplers.  They have=
 male and female threads on both connectors and couplers.  They also have=
 them in bulk, so you can buy just the right number of each.  Connectors=
 were ~$3CDN and couplers were ~$5CDN.  Sears had connectors (with male=
 thread) and couplers (with female thread) in packages, so it was difficult=
 to get exactly what I wanted without buying far too many connectors and=
 couplers.

I bought a 25 foot hose from Home Depot (~$13 in Canada), and put a female=
 threaded coupler on one end and a female-threaded connector on the other.

Air Tank
- --------
I bought a 9 gallon air tank from Sears.  In Canada, the part number is=
 72709,and it cost $59.95 + tax.  According to the US web site=
 (http://www.sears.com), the Sears Item Number is 15209 and the price is=
 $39.95.

You'll have to assemble the fittings yourself.  This is actually a good=
 thing; instead of putting on the air chuck, put on a male-threaded coupler=
 (using teflon tape).  Then you can attach several different tools to the=
 air tank.

Connect the air chuck to a female-threaded connector using teflon tape.  You=
 can then easily connect and disconnect the air chuck to the air tank.  When=
 you want to use the tire chuck, put it on the leader hose from the air=
 tank.

I bought the Sears air tank because it was the only tank I could find with a=
 9 gallon capacity.  From discussions on the Digest, you'll need a 9 gallon=
 (or larger) tank to have enough air to fill your tires at the Autocross or=
 track.  Home Depot has a 5 gallon tank in Canada (7 gallon in the US), but=
 apparently it isn't big enough for the track.

Brake Bleeder Pressure Cap
- --------------------------
I bought the brake bleeder pressure cap from Steve G.  Connect the cap and=
 the male-threaded connector together using teflon tape.

When you bleed the brakes, put the cap on the brake reservoir;  put the=
 regulator on the leader hose from the air tank;  put the long hose on the=
 regulator;  put the hose on the cap.

Pressure Regulator
- ------------------
Before you go about using the tank for bleeding the brakes, you have to get=
 a pressure regulator.  The tank can hold air at 125psi.  The brake=
 reservoir should be pressurized to 15 to 20psi, maximum.  It blows up at=
 30psi.

I bought a Coilhose filter/regulator, part number MFC2.  I also bought a=
 Coilhose gauge, part number G14160.  Since the guage has a =BC NPT fitting=
 and the regulator has a 1/8 NPT fitting, I had to get an adapter from a=
 local distributor.  I put a male-threaded connector on the inlet port of=
 the regulator, and a male-threaded coupler on the outlet port of the=
 regulator.

Blow Gun
- --------
I also bought a blow gun.  I plan on using it to clear the sunroof drain=
 holes of debris to prevent rust.  Yes, I was listening at the last tech=
 session.  I bought the blow gun from Sears, part number 71630 for=
 $16.95CDN.  In the US, this is Sears Item Number 16237, $9.95.  I put a=
 male threaded connector on the blow gun.

When you want to use the blow gun, put the regulator on the leader hose from=
 the air tank;  put the long hose on the regulator;  put the blow gun on the=
 long hose.

OK, that's enough from me.

Dean
'96 328is