PIAA Whites

PIAA bulbs use a dichroic reflector system that reflects undesired light
(blue and IR in the case of the foglights, IR for driving lights) back
into the bulb where it heats the filiament, resulting in greater
efficiency. This is the reason for the blue tinge off-axis that made these
so fashionable. Many urban-custom foglamps use a "cold mirror" bulb with a
dichroic relector that just dumps IR out the back. These were developed to
keep film and people cooler when under lights, but they are no more
efficient. They do change color with angle a bit, so people with simple
taste like them.

- -Ted Crum

- -----
Steve H. <mudscow@domain.elided> petulantly wrote:

Read the page and see...sounds pretty unbiased to me...besides what makes
their "55w that acts like an 85w" 9005 bulb worth $80!?!

Apparantly PIAA has something in those bulbs which generates the extra
30w...

To fully PIAA ize my 325iS would cost nearly $250 (2x 9005, 2x 9006
2xH4's)!?!
for light bulbs? I was actually thinking about it but I couldn't find ANY
legitimate anaysis showing that the PIAA bulbs were better (or for that
matter
as good) as the grand auto $7 a bulb ones I have now...

Show me evidence to the contrary and I would consider them a worthwhile
purchase otherwise, they are a waste.

- --
Ted Crum
tedcrum@domain.elided