Re: Blower levels 1,2,3 don't work

Rob asked:

> I have a 93 325is and I am trying to figure out what is the problem
> with my blower. I turn on the heat, AC, or just the blower and I get
> the same results.
>
> When the blower is set to Level 1,2 or 3 nothing happens. When I set
> to to 4, it steps through each level and then works at 4. Has
> anybody else had a similar problem? This problem has gotten worse as
> time has passed. At first level 1 didn't work but 2,3,& 4 did. 2
> went then 3 went.
>
> Do you think it could be the blower motor itself, the circut
> (resistor box) that controls it, or could it be something with the
> controls?

Your blower resistor is probably kaput.

To replace it, remove the driver side underdash panel, crawl into the
footwell and look above and to the right of the gas pedal for a device
plugged into the side of the plenum connected to four wires.  It is roughly
trapezoidal in shape, and probably molded of white plastic.  Disconnect the
wiring plug, pull it out and go to the dealer for a replacement (~$40-50).
The original on my car had an exposed coil design, while the new one had a
heavier duty solid-state resistor (if you could call it that, I'm no EE).

Herman