Clutch Problem...

Hi,

I have a clutch problem that I'd like to get a bit of advice on.  I own a
96' 328i with about 36k miles.  As I put the miles on the car, the clutch
felt harder and gradually, the contact point moved higher and higher.  A
couple of months ago, as I was going to a music concert, the clutch got
really bad, started vibrating and shimmying and finally would not
disengage the engine any longer.

Got the car towed to a repair shop (BMW Excluservice in DC area) and they
replaced the clutch.  When they showed me the old clutch assembly, one of
the fingers that separated the clutch plate was broken...  The clutch had
much life in it though.  Anyways, I thought that was a fluke or something
and drove out happily with the new clutch feeling normal.

But, now, about 3 months later, the clutch is getting harder and the
contact point moving further up again.  Today, I took the car to BMW
Excluservice.  Looking at the clutch they didn't find much wrong with the
system externally.  But the did mention that the pedal sits unusually
high.  I was also told that this could be a hydrolic problem, and if so, I
could have the work done under warranty from a dealer.

Now my question is, has anyone else dealt with this?  How do I go about
discussing this problem with the dealer so they don't blow me off.  You
see, if I don't mention the clutch replacement, they will want to replace
the clutch assembly and will say the work isn't covered by warranty (wear
and tear).  If I do mention the previous work by the non dealer entity,
they might blame it on BMW Excluservice and say it's their fault the
clutch is faulty... I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.