Good stuff on the HP thread, but its more simple than that/

Bruce good stuff, but we had this discussion before.   I think it sunk in=

for me when =

I started to look at the torqure curve , but not just peak torque, but  t=
he
area under the curve.
that is who will win a drag race.  (assuming same weight, aeordynamics, a=
nd
gearing)
(Gearing , that still is another discussion.)

So, many cars have tree stump pulling  torque, and some have more peak HP=
. =

but its the car
with the best shape torque curve that will win a race.    No need for Pea=
Hp , for example at 3000 rpm when the car will be tracked at rpms of 4000=

to  6300 the entire race.   No need for a peak of 310 hp at 5300 rpm if t=
he
torque curve falls off to 150 at 6500.

So, just a quickie to just confirm what you made the effort to communicat=
e.
  Its not just torque, and its not just HP. its the shape of the curve.  =

Mark Kibort
www.innoventions.org.

Bruce said>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

rom: Bruce Augenstein <Bruce.Augenstein@domain.elided>
Subject: Horsepower and Torque - a Primer (part 2)

The Case For Horsepower

OK. If torque is so all-fired important (and feels so good), why do we ca=
re
about horsepower? =

Because (to quote a friend), "It is better to make torque at high rpm tha=
at low rpm, because you can take advantage of *gearing*. =