OBC too dim

In a message dated 01/31/99 11:48:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:14:44 -0700
 From: Dave Rathnow <Dave.Rathnow@domain.elided>
 Subject: E30: Onboard computer display too dim to see

 My onboard computer display has suddenly gotten verrrrry dim.
 In the daylight, you can just make out what is on the display; however,
 at night, you can't see a thing.  The functions all seem to be working
 fine,
 but it's almost impossible to see what's displayed.

 Is there any easy fix to this, or am I looking at replacing the whole
 unit?

 One other question: how do I change the time from 24 hours to 12 hour
 display?

 Thanks,
 Dave.