E30: Onboard computer display too dim to see

My onboard computer display has suddenly gotten verrrrry dim.
In the daylight, you can just make out what is on the display; however,
at night, you can't see a thing.  The functions all seem to be working
fine,
but it's almost impossible to see what's displayed.

Is there any easy fix to this, or am I looking at replacing the whole
unit?

One other question: how do I change the time from 24 hours to 12 hour
display?

Thanks,
Dave.