Re: <e40><all>2.3,torsen's,and traction control Oh My

John Edward Miller wrote:

> It's also important to note that while this design relies on the
> friction characteristics of the gear teeth to control its behavior, it
> *doesn't* use friction to transfer power (like a Clutch Plate LSD).
> This design doesn't have any more wear than a conventional
> differential.
>
> It does, however, generate considerably more heat; if used in
> situations of continual heavy use (e.g. open-track events, racing)
> diff temps can be 80-200deg hotter than an open diff, and a cooler and
> pump may be needed.

Good point.  BMW appears to be addressing this by requiring the use of
high temp synthetic gear lube, and by incorporating a rather massive
finned heat sink as part of the differential cover.

> Still, it's good to hear torsens and quaifes are compatible with
> ASC+T, presumably with DSC as well - now, is one available for the E39
> 540?

I'm not sure if the new M5 has a Torsen.  I don't recall reading this in
any of the M5 articles.

I think that there's a good chance that an aftermarket Quaife unit is
available for the E39.  Quaife North America is using Autotech Sport
Tuning (a VW oriented firm) as their distributor in the U.S.  You might
want to check with them. Autotech's phone number is: (949) 240-4000.

Brian Brown.