e28 poltergiest...

Hola from Ohio, remaining digesters!
   Here's my current predicament:  Upon getting the e28/535i out of
hibernation two days ago (couln't help it - the snow is gone...) I have
experienced a high rpm "tick."  At around 5000rpm, I get an intermittent power
loss (like the rev limiter is kicking in.)  It continues through a quick shift
into 2nd, then quickly goes away.  I am not exctly sure yet, but it seems to
happen when the tank is nearly empty (less than 30 miles, according to the
range function on the OBC.)  Is fuel simply sloshing away from the sending
unit in the tank, starving the engine in times of increased inertia?
Hopefully, you guys can help solve this one!  Thanks again.

RobW