RE: <misc>RE: Oil Service

> > From: Ron Browne <r_browne@domain.elided>
> > Subject: <misc>RE: Oil Service
>
> [snip]
> (In talking about increased oil-change intervals...)
>
> > B)an effort to falsely increase maintenance intervals to satisfy Joe
> > Carbuyer, the consumer.  I think engineers have determined
> > that modern lubricants and modern engines are much better today than
20
> > years ago.
>
> New Hondas boast about the engines not needing a tune-up for
> 100,000 miles.  Sounds great!  But I talked to a Service Advisor
> at the dealership, and this really only saves $150 (for adjusting
> valves, changning plugs and a few other things) every 30,000 miles.
>
> --rickw

I wonder how that affects the fuel mileage in the meanwhile.  Do we
lose that much in extra gas?

30,000 miles/30 mpg = 1000 gallons of gas.
30K/26 mpg = 1150 gallons of gas.

So if that tuneup at 30K nets you 4 mpg, you save 150 gallons of gas.
Wait, the mileage degrades in some non-linear fashion from 30 to 26,
so it's less than that.  Screw it, it's not worth it.  Too close to 5pm
on Friday for me to care, but you get the idea.  Your mileage
improvement
has to be drastic with the tuneup to make it worthwhile ... Wait, that's
just the first 30K.  What happens after 50K? How bad is it running then?

Screw it, I'm going home to clean my collection of broken 2002
distributors.

 -thi v.