Re: BMW/Honda Merge?

>From: "Joseph C. Volpe" <jcfox@domain.elided>
>An article in the Roundel suggested that if BWM merged with anyone, Honda
>would be the most likely candidate They have deep pockets, and there
>philosophy is as close to BMW's as any other car maker.

I disagree with that statement. Honda is, probably, the furthest in
philosophy from BMW. Mitsubishi is probably the closest, downright copying
some of BMW lines (new Galant looks almost identical to E34, if you ask me).
Honda is making hyper-revving 4s with all the techno-gizmology they can
master. Their attempts to build 6-cylinder engines was a mixed bag, save
the marvel in the NSX. They like to make everything themselves, including
struts and transmissions, whilst BMW, alone with most other companies, buys
everything they can on a side.
Generally, I do not see a merger of a German and a Japanese company as ever
being a symbiotic success. Both are inefficient (although in very different
ways), both are stubborn in their "our way or else" practices, they come
from two continents fiercely competing and killing each other with import
quotes. I just don't see it.

>If Ford or GM get there hands on BMW, the marquee will never be the same
>again.

Questionable, look at the Jaguar, and pray it's Ford and not GM that gets in.

>Ford help Jaguar will quality control but GM killed Saab. Volvo's were
>already better cars than Fords so we'll see what happens.

Ford resurrected Jag from ashes, not just helped them with quality control.
Jag was assembling cars on an assembly line they bought used in 1952 from
AC, I believe, until 1992.
Ford also seemingly allows their charges to be independent, see Jag, Mazda,
Euroford, Ford of Australia.
GM, on the other hand, seems to get in and start counting beans, like they
do in Detroit. They have not killed Saab, but they certainly made it pretty
bland. Same for Opel, same for Holden.
I do, however, think that BMW might not need to merge with anyone. Look at
their recent acquisitions, Rover, RR. They seem to have some cash burning
holes in their pockets.
Oh, btw, how are Volvos better than Fords?
Mike.S, no fan of Ford, but fair is fair.

'92 E30 325iC, BMWCCA #159367
http://www.gis.net/~mikest