Need Help Installing Door Handle Trim

I need help getting the door handle trim to install and seat properly on a
'92 525i. In trying to replace a piece of damaged door handle trim I managed
to destroy the new one. The trim has hooks at the top and bottom that look
like they should snap into place in the 4 holes in the door. I was never
able to get the trim to seat properly in the holes and I mangled one of the
hooks.

Is there a proper method to getting this trim on? Is some sort of adhesive
needed?

Thanks.

Michael Craghead
'92 525i