E30. Checking Fan Clutch. How? Cooling system cleaning agent?

My first post to the UUC Digest.  I feel a little sad leaving the BMW =
Digest.  As The Buddha said, 'The only thing that is constant is change'.

My 1988 325 iS runs a little hot all the time - winter/summer/spring/fall =
- - and I suspect the reason may be a failing fan clutch.  Is there a way to =
check this?

I'm going to flush the coolant and clean the radiator.  Any suggestions on =
what to use?  I imagine it has not been cleaned in 10 years!  The Porsche =
list recommends using Simple Green for radiators and cooling lines that =
have been dirtied by head gasket failures, but I'm not sure that would be =
good for the aluminum on a long term basis.

Help!

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS - runs about 5 degrees of arc not temperature hotter on the =
gauge!
1989 325 iC - runs cool when the gauge works - just got it going well =
yesterday!