Finally resolved: "ongoing steering play/wandering issues"

Just wanted to update the list (and congratulate Bill Bechthold who hit it
on the nose, sight unseen) on this issue.  Our <e36> '98 323iC newly
purchased in 7/98 came off the lot with what I thought was an awful lot of
steering play, or actually, dead zone.  I estimated there was no steering
response for about 3/4" of steering wheel travel.

First dealer visit: "no problem, all in spec".  Called BMW NA to voice
disagreement, dealer called back a few days later to arrange test drive with
service manager.  Second dealer visit: took test drives with service
manager, who reluctantly agreed to do an alignment (under warranty).  Third
dealer visit: did alignment.  Result: 3 of 4 wheels were out of at least one
alignment spec.  Improved steering quite a bit, to tolerable but still
disappointing level.

Today I replaced the OEM tires (Michelin Energy MXV4) with Bridgestone RE71.
 The car is now transformed -- wow.  Virtually zero steering play (vagueness
or dead zone), excellent stability and feedback.  (Great traction too.)

So in the end it wasn't play; it was a number of different factors either
adding vagueness (tires) or fighting each other (misalignment) and keeping
the car from responding to small steering inputs, kind of like random motion
on a small scale.

So just in case others have similar complaints -- those were two possible
causes that worked for me.

Now my next mission: stiffen up the brake pedal.  Will a good fluid have a
reasonable effect on this (Super Blue)?  Original fluid has never gotten
boiling hot at least to my knowledge, that wouldn't be it.

                -Mike

'98 323iC, Avus Blue, 3k
'87 911 Carrera coupe, 86k