More tire stuff from Devin

After shocking the Digest with a BMW-related question, and even
receiving a few well-formatted, non-flame responses, Devin came
back for more of that Digest MoJo:

<---------------------->
Next question- I very rarely hear of owners replacing their OEM Pilots
     with a new set of Pilots. Is this mainly price-driven or does it have
     anything to do with performance?
<---------------------->

The answer is yes, at least for me.  When I smoke my original fronts,
hopefully coincident with the demise of my new rears, I plan on buying
the SO2 Pole Positions.  Here is my analysis, keeping in mind I have
only actually DRIVEN on the Pilots:

Pilot MXX3's
Dry Street - Great tire, a little stiff ride, wear out fast
Wet Street - Create excellent car control practice opportunities
Dry Track - Great for a street tire, very consistent, hold up pretty well

SO2's
Dry Street - Marvelous tire, smoother ride, wear out fast
Wet Street - The gold standard for a wet perfomance tire
Dry Track - OK, but not well suited for the track

My verdict - I live where it rains, though I now hesitate to drive in it, so
the SO2's are my street tire of choice.  Being an obsessive/compulsive
spendthrift, that means I need a second set of wheels to burn up at
the track.  Come ooooon, bonus.

Your verdict - If you live someplace where the rain is not a big deal,
I would stick with the MXX3's.

Hope that helps.

Hasta,

John