E30 speed sensor

Does anyone know how to test the speed sensor on the E30?  What happens if
the sensor is bad?  Will the engine quit running?  I'm still trying to
solve an oscillating idle problem on my '86 325.  Idle control valve,
control electronics, idle switches, thermal switches, all seem to check out
OK.  Can't find any air leaks.  I haven't check fuel pressure or oxygen
sensor.  Someone said that a bad fuel transfer pump could affect idle
performance.

John Hung
Auburn, AL