misc. and RE: Tire Wear. Plus US 164 and Z3 seals.

I'm a relatively new eavesdropper on this list and have enjoyed much and
ignored some.  We have begun, not intentionally, "collecting" BMW's --
kids out of college.  Started with a 97 Z3 (4 banger) about two years ago.
This ended up being a replacement for a 1967 TR4A (IRS and electric
overdrive -- 7 spd) I had in grad school but eventually had to be sold
($1500 - I kicked myself many times for that) as the kids became too big
for the "rear seat".  Also the prospect of huge repair bills (I was used
to those -- anybody need a rebuilt Lucas GENERATOR -- not alternator -- I
had lots of those) colored this decision.  We were considering a Maxima
and were getting serious about an Acura CL -- boy, do I feel smug now
(hope it stays that way).

The Z3 was followed by a 98 M3/4 -- replaced a 92 GMC 2500 conversion van
- -- the M3(/4) became our new people HAULER!  Which all comes down to tire
wear.

I have had many of the same sorts of questions re tire wear and have no
answers but do have two data points to report:

Z3: Michelin Pilots -- now have 25k on originals -- rotated at 20k as
fronts were showing more wear than rears.  My guess is due to
cornering stress.  Expect 5-10k more??  I expected much less, but I guess
that all this sort of stuff is dependent on driving style.  This car gets
driven aggressively now and then, but for the most part it's my wife's
daily driver -- since we got the

M3: Bridgestone 8080E's -- have 9k on these everything seems fine.  Given
my driving style, these and the Pilots seem about the same, so in the long
run it will come down to price/wear (and from what I read perhaps
availability for the M3).

Route tip:  if you're going across central/southern US, check out US 164
through so. MO and the Ozarks.  On a previous return trip from NC, I was
looking at the map and asked my Dad about this hiway.  He said. "Don't go
that way!"  So I ignored him, just as I would have 45 years ago.  Turned
out to be one of the best stretches of road I ever been on -- left, right,
up, down -- like a roller coaster with your stomach up against the roof
(except with the top down, there was nothing to stop it).  It continues on
into KS and is still fun long swervy straights (apparently road warpeage)
with occasional 90 degree turns following the corn fields.  Little
traffic and occasional slow downs through farm communities with double
digit population -- convenient for catching your breath (read "getting
adrenaline down to normal levels).  However as you approach and go
through CO this becomes an incredibly scenic road which is used as
parking lot for RV's.

Pardon the rambling but after 25 years of Volvo SW, Suburbans and Vans,
it's just great to drive something that is so much FUN!

Z3 1.8 Econo Quicky Turbo Tip: At 5k elevation (Denver, Albuquerque,
etc.), put top down, AC on.  When desired, turn AC off: instant 20 hp.

or --- just go down to sea level.  (This does not work on M motors.)

Anyone with leaky Z3 door seals:  We had ours replaced under warranty by
the dealer TWICE!  Third time a service rep was in the shop and said it
needed a replacement top.  At 20K mi. so warranty covered it -- and that
cured the problem.

Only remaining problem -- speedo reads 3-5 mph high re OBC.  Not
proportional to speed -- deviation is greatest in 20-35 mph range.  Dealer
service said it was "within BMW specs".  Heard the same response re clutch
engagement position.  Is this some sort of universal BMW technical term?
Any thoughts re speedo or clutch problem (clutch does not engage until
pedal is almost completely released)?  TIA.

"You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't make it look you in the
mouth" ... Ernie Kovacs???

Stu Burness
Professor of Economics
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

'97 Z3 1.8 (great forward and lateral acceleration)
'98 M3/4 (adds aft acceleration)
'90 GMC 3/4 t. XCAB (no acceleration, but hauls dirt bikes)
'94 KTM LC400 (thumper)
'89 KTM 350 (2-stroke)
'87 Hayburner (1 HP @ 240 FPM, torque?)
'98 (October) female GS (latest addition), can go up to 20 min. in GMC
	w/o ralphing

End of bmw-digest V9 #920