WARNING!!! Actual BMW content follows...

     Dave Hogg insinuated:

     >Devin is a selfish meatball for wasting our time with such trivial
     >things a BMW-related questions!  May the rubber gods bring chunking
     >upon
     >your bimmer and your household... Eh... Oh nooooooo, it's contagious!

     >FWIW, JDJO was right on with his comments about the MXX3's on E36
     >M3's.

     >Dave Hogg   NCC

     This must be what they refer to as a "moderated list" - ban the
     completely off-topic WOB as well as the overly "on-topic" messages and
     what you have left is everything appropriate, middle-of-the-road,
     properly balanced with 50% banter, 50% BMW info :) I guess I should be
     expecting to see "Mark(s)-free, Meatball-free digest!!!" messages in
     the future...

     Anyways, the above was the 50% useless message content as dictated by
     the rules of the "moderated" list. Now, for the useful 50% -->

     Thanks to all who responded both on the digest and off-line regarding
     Michelin/Dunlop M3 tire life expectancy. I heard what I expected but
     didn't want to believe- the pilots wear fast, even under street
     driving. Digesters' experiences ranged from 15k to 35k with most under
     20-25k. Now, I plan on tossing in a driving school or two so my tires
     will probably end up seeing recycled life (I hear tires that have
     behaved on earth - no flats, good grip - have a chance of being
     reincarnated as window seals on new bimmers :) rather quickly.

     Next question- I very rarely hear of owners replacing their OEM Pilots
     with a new set of Pilots. Is this mainly price-driven or does it have
     anything to do with performance? People seem to migrate most commonly
     to Pirelli P-Zeros, Dunlop 8 or 9-series, and the Pole Position S02s
     (Bridgestones?). I've heard from some people looking for better
     wet-weather performance, as the Pilots are heralded as "Death" in
     snow, and not-so-great in rain. Is this still a complaint even with
     the new Pilot "Sport" model that is shipped on M3s if the
     assembly-line foreman rolls 6 or 12 on his daily toss of the "Official
     Bavarian Michelin/Dunlop Tire-Selecting Dice"*. Bruce H's story of his
     defective OEM Dunlops along with my own personal experience with
     admittedly non-high-performance Dunlops have me hoping those dice hit
     6 or 12. Anyone care to comment?

     * This may or may not be the actual tire selection process used at the
     BMW factory. My dealer insists it is more likely that they use the
     more tried-and-true, industry-standard dart-board method (heavily
     implemented within Engine Quality Control Depts. of several leading
     British auto manufacturers)

     Devin
     '99 M3 coupe- Jan. build, hopefully factory Pilots
     BMWCCA - CT Valley Chapter