re: E30 cosmetics

Paul de Rome <pderome@domain.elided> writes:
>Can anyone tell me the visual clues of the various E30 models from 84 thru
>90/91?
>Things like bumpers, tail lights, spoilers etc often indicate the year.
>I've just bought an '88 325i and people tell me it doesn't have the 88
>style body.

I can only answer for the US models.  '88 model year for us brought the new
tailights and front air dam changes (including fog lights built into the
valance rather than hung from the bumper) which were to remain on the E30
until end of production.  The air dam has a removeable lip attached with
clips to the metal valance.  However, it retained our heavy aluminum 5mph
bumpers which were replaced for '90 by the body-color covered euro-style
bumpers.

The range of VINs of non-US cars change by number of doors, transmission,
catalyst, etc.  Send me your VIN and model/body/transmission type and what
side the steering wheel is on and I'll try to tell you what year BMW says
it is.

- -Phil