Re: Water Wetter

Steve Albrecht asks:

>I am confused by the marketing hype of Redline's Water Wetter.  The
>label claims that it will lower the temperature of the cooling system
>water by some amount, 10 degrees or something, ....
>So is this stuff snake oil or what?

It may be snake oil but it works. We used it in our 2002 race car and it
worked just fine under the usual heavy use associated with racing on hot
summer days. The only problem we had with it was the cooling system froze
the following winter when we foolishly forgot to drain the system (thank god
for frost plugs!).

My understanding is that the product prevents the formation of bubbles in
the coolant as it approaches the boiling point. If you look at a pot of
water that is about to boil the bottom will be covered in small bubbles. By
preventing the formation of bubbles the amount of surface area in the
cooling system is effectively increased making the cooling system more
efficient. No bubbles means all available surface area can be used for
thermal transfer.

That's what I think but remember I was smart enough to freeze up the engine
too!

Jeff Roberts
'88 325is
'68 2002 race car