Tire life expectancy

Devin asked (gasp!!) a BMW related question:

<------------------->
Can any of you digesters out there who run on Michelin Pilots or the
     Dunlop equivalents (8000s?) comment on what kind of mileage you're
     getting out of these tires under normal driving conditions (ie- not
     including track/schools)?
<-------------------->

Devin -

You might want to keep your credit card and the phone number
for the Tire Rack handy.  I have a 98 M3 with the Mich. Pilots,
and replaced my rears at 14,xxx.  That interval included one
driving school.  However, it has been my experience (80% freeway,
20% street) that non-track driving wears the rears quite a bit more
than the fronts, and that track driving is murder on the shoulders
of the fronts.  (Especially if you have no camber mods, and over
drive the car in low-speed carosel turns :- (  ).

If you are driving hard enough on the street to be tearing up the
shoulders on your fronts, you are probably driving too fast (for
my taste).

If you are just street driving, you should expect about 15 K from
your rears, and twice that from the fronts if you rotate the spare
with it.

Hope that helps,

John
"Calypso"