<E30> Factory Amplifier Specs?

>Anybody know how much power the stock amplifier in my 86 325es?
>I recently upgraded to a Sony 35x4 watt stereo but i'm afraid the amplifier
is
>limiting it?  I'm not a stereo buff, but I'd like to use the head to it's
full
>power.  I'll remove the stock amp if it is limiting anything.

You only get as much power as the amps that drive the speakers. There is not
a combined effect: you can't take one amp and run it into the next and get
twice as much power. If your head unit can do 35x4 Watts, (is that RMS power
or Peak? RMS is the one to go by, since it is continuous.) Not only could
the amp be limiting the power, it can be adding distortion, something to
consider when you get add on equalizers too. Bypassing the amp should be a
simple, zero cost test. You can even do an A/B test with the two channels.

Brad