E34 AirCon Not Cold

My E34 525i M20 air conditioning doesn't seem to be very cold especially on
a HOT day. I've just
topped up on the gas and it has a fairly new compressor (about 1 year old).
The funny thing is, during
the nights or early mornings, the aircon is blooming cold! (until fog comes
out of the vents) but during
the day it doesn't seem to be cold enough.

Anyone got any ideas what I should check/replace?. BTW when was the
microfilter introduced in the E34?.
Mine is a 1990 M20 12 valve 525i. I don't recall my mechanic ever changing
or cleaning the microfilter (assuming
that it has one!). Any help appreciated.

Rgds,
Eugene
E34 525i M20
A few mods...
Freezing my butt of at night but sweating it out during the day!.