Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:41:16 -0800

Scott Olson wrote:
 Has any auto manufacturer ever produced an inline
8?  A flat 8?  I know porsche had a flat 6 and some kick butt swedish car
companiies use inline 5's.  I think the new Bugatti touring coupe has a W18.
Any other interesting engine configurations?  I would think that if anyone
could build an inline8 it would be BMW.
- ----

Clearly Scott, you've never been in an Automobile museum of any
significance.

Yes there have been in-line 8s by a few domestic manufacturers.

All 911's have flat 6s (this layout is also known as a boxer).  The Subaru
SVX has one too. Porsche built flat 8s and flat 12 for racing.  Ferrari
Boxer's (e.g. 512 BB - means 5 Litre 12 cylinder Berlinetta Boxer) have flat
12s.

Yeah Volvo has in-line 5, VW had one too, MB had an inline 5 diesel, Honda
had one in the Acura Vigor.

JL