<E30> Seeking Advice on Auto Trannies

I am fixing to buy an '89 325 which has say about 130K
miles on it and I would like to hear from fellow digest
members about their experiences with auto
transmissions. I have a bias for 5 spds and the only
reason I'm considering this one is because I have a good deal
and secondly its a beautiful car. Are auto trannies bound
to break down at some point ? And secondly is there anything
as a potential owner that I should look for. Thanks

Mike Theuri