Re: E28 Speed Transmitter **Rob

>From: "James Knott" <jpjk@domain.elided>
>Subject: E28 Speed Transmittor
>
>My M535i has recently been off the road for new piston and valve - the old
>ones become too well aquainted! Now things are all back together but my
>speedo doesn't work.
>My first thought is that I have disconnected the speed transmittor but as I
>don't know where it is I can't check, my next port of call will be the SI
>board although all other instruments are working fine.

    The speed sensor is located within the differential.  It's the wire
plugged into the rear cover of the diff, you can see it without raising the
car.  Sometimes the contacts can go bad - just unplug, clean, lube with
electrolytic grease, and plug back in.  Sometimes the sensor itself is bad,
you can remove it and replace it without taking the diff apart.

    Other things to consider first - do your odometer and cruise control
work?  Both rely on the same speed sensor and will not function without it.
If they work, it means your speedometer (the instrument itself) is bad.  I
would send you to USI for repairs here but I have no idea where to go in the
UK.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo for sale: www.bubbaclub.com/4sale.htm