Re: California Salvage title Question

Hi Mike, if it isn't too late, here's my CA salvage title experience.

In 1995 I "totalled" my 1987 325is.  It was totalled not because it was not
fixable, but because the insurance company determined that the cost to
repair exceeded low Kelley Blue Book.  In the settlement, I kept the car.  I
then went to the DMV and asked for salvage title, and they complied.  I
don't recall that they asked to see the insurance papers.  They did ask
the last date that the car was driven on public roads.  In my case, I had
paid the next year's DMV fees prior to totalling the car, and the year for
which I had paid had not yet started, so this process got me a refund of
the next year's fees.

I then sold the car to my mechanic.  There was a body shop that owed
him a favor, so they straightened the car.  He threw in a "few bucks" for
paint and they painted the parts that needed it.  He then went to the DMV
and got regular title and put the car back on the street.  He drove it for
about a year himself, then sold it to one of his customers.  According to
my mechanic, the car was perfectly safe.

So, this kind of thing happens, and it kind of depends on just how
"totalled" the car was.  Totalled can mean "rolled up in a ball, no longer
recognizable", or it can mean "the insurance company just didn't want to
be bothered".  Salvage title alone is insufficient information to determine
how good or bad the car might be.  I'm sure there are also salvage title
situations which do not involve an insurance company.

HTH,

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977

>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:45:54 -0500
>From: Michael Tarver <tarvma02@domain.elided>
>Subject: California Salvage title Question.. (I need help pronto)
>
>    Hello Everyone,
>    Does anyone know what the California law is that constitutes a
>salvage title.  How much damage does it take to earn a salvage title.  I
>have a guy that is willing to sell a 1998 M3 with 8K mls, harmon kardon,
>sunroof, power seats, etc. for $29K.  It does have a salvage title but
>he claims that the car has only had its right, rear quarter panel
>replaced and nothing else.  He even claims that the stickers are still
>on the doors, trunk, hood, etc.  No complete repaint either.  Now, I
>know this is a sketchy car but tell me if anyone has any experience
>with these title laws. PS.  The owner is a body-shop owner. Likewise,
>is there anyone in the LA area that wouldn't mind checking this M3
>out??
>Please e-mail me personally at tarvma02@domain.elided  Thank you all, Mike.

End of bmw-digest V9 #901