RE: E36 Problem Areas

Ed,

I will try to answer a few of your questions, since I have an 1994 E36 with
99,000 miles on it, and I am the original owner.  My convertable however
has the 1.8L engine in it so I will not address those problems related to
the engine.  My E36 is a daily driver, and rarely sees stop and go traffic.
 99% of the times that it is cranked, it will be driven until it is fully
warmed up.

Please see my notes below.

>Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:52:22 -0800
>From: Ed Mellinger <meed@domain.elided>
>Subject: E36 Problem Areas
>
>Hello Digesters -
>
>I'm considering a '94 325i for purchase.  The following are some problem
>areas that were mentioned by Jenny Morgan in her "Werkstatt" article in
>the November *Roundel*.  It's quite an eye-opening list; makes my E28
>sound like Old Reliable.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has
>experienced these problems (when did it occur, $$ to fix), or has
>knowledge of the frequency with which they occur.
>
>- - failed ball joints
	** Mine are still just fine

>- - failed water pumps
>- - leaking or sticky VANOS unit
>- - bad ignition coils that take the ECU with them
	** N/A

>- - failed subframe-to-body mounts
	** no problems
>- - failed rear shock mounts
	** no problems
>- - failing fuel pumps
	** no problems, but I usually fill up when the tank is half full
>- - power window problems
	** no problems
>- - blistering door panels
	** no problems, car is parked in shade at work, garaged at home.
 - - cracked fog lights
	** mine are cracked and still working. Only used in foggy conditions.

>thanks,
>Ed Mellinger
>Monterey CA
>'86 528e

Kevin Lee
94 BMW 318ic
90 Honda Accord, spends weekends on jack stands
74 Ford F100, hauls parts for the honda

(oo_OO_oo)

EARTH FIRST!  We'll stripmine the other planets later.