Re: E36 M3 euro air intake system questions

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Hou Aaron wrote:
	<snip - stuff about E36 M3 intake mods>

Short answer: 3.5" K&N cone filter + heat/turbulence shield + Euro HFM +
adapter + JC chip tuned for all this = ~28 HP on some vehicles.  Skip the
euro airbox.

Long answer: see the archives, or bmwmpower.com, or bmwmseries.com, or any
of the countless other sources of information on this topic (heck, if I
know about it, then it must be common knowledge :=)).

> Why didn't our E36 M's come with the euro goodies?  Pricing?

I think it has more to do with CAFE, but I'm making this part up, so I'll
stop...

> If these parts are genuine BMW, then I would appreciate part #s even if they
> are not available through US dealers, since I have travel plans to Europe
> soon.  Anybody know if parts are cheaper there or here?

The M3 Euro HFM is the same as that found on the M60 US engines (e.g. 540,
740).  I dunno if you need to match -- e.g. S50 --> M60, S52--> M62, etc.,
but I'm sure somebody else does.

Heck, I don't even know if you can do this to an OBDII car like yours, or
if this is an OBDI-only mod.  Good luck.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i]
 Keller, TX