<E36>M42-Ticking Lifter "solution"

If you have a M42 engine (318, 318is, 318ic), you _may_ experience
some lifter ticking at idle if:

1)Outside temps are approximately 55 degrees or higher.
2)Engine and engine oil are fully warmed.
3)Sitting at idle.
4)You are using an oil weight below 15w-50.

Summertime is never a problem for me, as I use Mobil 1-15w-50, which,
according to the BMW owners manual, is fine for year round use in the
DC Metro area climate.  BUT, I prefer Mobil 1 10w-30 in the winter, as
the engine turns and starts much smoother when the outside temp is
very cold.  On a day like yesterday, when the temp creeped up to 60f,
I got some ticking at idle.  Taking a tip from the E36 M3 crowd,
adding 1/2 quart of oil past the full mark on the dipstick immediately
eliminated all lifter tick.

Ron Browne
1992 318is (nice and quiet)
Bowie, MD