[E30 M3] '90 Windshield washer problems

Gruppe,

My windshield washer has never operated since I bought the car and with the
onset of winter the inconvenience has become too, well, inconvenient.

Here's what I've done to diagnose the issue(s):

As specified by Bently, with ignition on I bridged relay socket 85 to
ground (in the fuse box). This should have caused the pump to pump, buy
yielded nothing.

According to the wiring diagram, the violet/black wire at the washer motor
should be live with ignition on.  It has nothing.

Brown/black at washer motor should have nothing (Grounding is done by
washer switch) yet it has positive voltage.

Switching violet/black and brown/black at washer motor and grounding what
was the original brown/black pole causes the wipers to switch on (ignition
is on and relay in place) but washer motor still does nothing.

My hypothesis (for whatever it is worth)somebody rewired the washer cables
backwards and this destroyed motor.  Rewire and get new motor should fix
problem.

I haven't yet tested the motor with just straight voltage, so motor could
still be good.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  These cars aren't nearly as much fun
if you can't see a thing.

Regards,

Jonathan Porath
'90 E30 M3 sharked and grimed