MKIAI is the IDIOT, PLEASE READ carefully you may learn something

I'LL MAKE MY RESPONSES IN CAPITALS .  IM NOT YELLING, BUT IT MAY BE EASIE=
TO READ.

>Subject: Cold air to the filter or longer tubes means pressure drops =

hmmmmm
>>Subject: E30 - Running cold air to air filter...

>engine
>bay you may have some hotter air,but I think your model had a filter
box
>that
>also draws air from the engine compartment.  =

TRANSLATED: I've never seen an E30 except in pictures so there's no
way I'd know that the fresh intake air is drawn from behind the
headlight and mostly unaffected by underhood engine air temperature.

THE AIRBOX POINTING AT A VENT FROM THE GRILL.   IT IS AFFECTED ENGINE
AIR TEMPS.   =

>Anyway, you have just reduce  a major pressure drop on the intake , and =
dont think the increased
heat  you are drawing will off set it .

TRANSLATED: Even though that sentence makes no sense, it is obvious
that I have little idea of the fact that underhood heated air intake
temp dramatically reduces performance.

TEMP OR PRESSURE IT  MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD.  =

IF YOU REDUCE THE PRESSURE DROP BY 1PSI YOU GAIN THE EFFECT OF
40 DEGREES F.   THIS IS WELL KNOWN.  NOW, SINCE I HAVE TESTED  .5PSI IN T=
HE
AIRBOX,AND GAINED 1PSI WITH THE eRAM, WE SAW A 7-9 HP GAIN ON ALL VEHICLE=
TESTED.
NOW, IF YOU GET RID OF A STOCK FILTER BOX THAT POINTS AN INLET TO THE GRI=
LL
AND JUST REPLACE IT WITH A CONE FILTER, YOU WILL GET RID OF MORE PRESSURE=

DROP  THAN A TEMP INCREASE WOULD HAVE ON AIR DENSITY .   SO YOUR
TRANSLATION:   " i dont understand the realationship of pressure drops an=
temp on air density"

>Probably not as most dyno runs see a 5hp gain for changing out the
stock =3D
>airbox and replacing it as you did.  =3D

TRANSLATED: I am victim of marketing who does not understand that all
K&N "dyno runs" are done with the hood up so that cold air is drawn
in, unrelated to the real world situation of sucking hot air.  The
only way to make a K&N cone filter slightly effective is with a heat
shield.
WITH THE HOOD UP , BOTH THE AIR BOX AND THE CONE FILTER GET THE SAME AIR.=

WITH THE HOOD CLOSED, THE DIFFERENCE IN TEMP , BECAUSE THERE IS NO DUCT O=
AN E30 =

TO THE AIR BOX, WOULD BE CLOSE.   ANYWAY, EVEN ON AN  NEW E36 WITH THE DU=
CT
WORK,
THE TEMP DROP MAY OR MAY NOT EQUAL THE EFFECTS OF PRESSURE DROP.   HOWEVE=
R,
BE SURE THAT
BOTH DONE WITH THE eRAM WOULD OR COULD GIVE YOU BOTH.   COOL AIR FROM
INLETS AND SUPERCHARGED
1PSI FROM THE FAN.   =

>If you make the tube longer , this has the same effect as making the
tube=3D
>SMALLER.

TRANSLATED: I have no concept of "intake tuning" where longer tubes
increase air velocity... the whole concept behind the
variable-intake-length VANOS system.  But since that's a BMW, it's
obvious I wouldn't understand it.
INTAKE MANIFOLD
ARE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT .    LONGER TUBES HAVE NOTHING, YES, NOTHI=
NG
TO DO WITH VELOCITY
NECK DOWNS  INCREASE VELOCITY , BUT DECREASE PRESSURE .   ALL YOUR PRESSU=
RE
DROPS   (LOSS IN AIR DENSITY ) ALONG THE INTAKE SYSTEM CAN BE REDUCED TO
INCREAS AIR DENSITY  AND HP.   =

MOST .   OPEN A AERODYNAMICS BOOK , FLUID DYNAMICS, WHATEVER, AND THEN PO=
OFF .

>So, my advice, keep it the way it is, or get an eRAM that will raise
you
>pressure =3D

TRANSLATED: I have proved that I cannot resist the temptation to be an
IDIOT and bring up my worthless hair dryer device.
TODAY.

Welty, why the hell are you letting kibort continue to pollute the
Digest?

WAS =

OFFERING SOUND ADVICE FOR AIRBOX VS COOLAIR OPTIONS.

MARK KIBORT

- - - MKIAI<