Re: bmw-digest V9 #888

On an ///M version of the X5:

> > You heard it here first! BMW Car has rumours of a 400bhp V8
> > based X5 similar or identical to the new M5's.

> For the sake of all BMW enthusiasts everywhere, let's hope NOT!  What
> an abomination that would be - a superfast SUV - it can't turn or stop
> but it'll go like hell in a straight line (as long as the road's
> smooth) - sounds like a Chevy Suburban - except that the Suburban's
> useful for towing.
> Matthew Yip

Matthew and all:
I saw the X5 at the Detroit show press days, and I promise you it's no ordinary
SUV. Lower, FAR better suspension (it's a BMW, remember), and much smaller than the
boats the US manufacturers make. They don't even call it an SUV. It's an SAV
("sports activity vehicle").
OK, the name doesn't count for that much. How about this: A standard X5 (they have
a 5-speed auto trans, remember) lapped the old Nurburgring (14 miles) within ONE
(1) minute of the new M5's time, which has a 6-speed manual trans. I think that's
better then a Chev Surburban could do. You are right about the towing, though. The
X5 would not be as good as a Surburban for towing.
Seriously, BMW sees this as a vehicle for getting you to the slopes or similar
getaways in style and at great speed, not a competitor for the Surburban, that new
Lincoln SUV that's about the size of a house, or similar vehicles.

Peter Cain
London, Ontario