Some help please

I have a 90' 325i it's been running rather poorly
for some time.  The check engine light comes on
sporadically, especially when idling for long
periods and more recently when driving down the
highway.  The major symptoms I am having are: an
occasional lack of acceleration when I depress the
gas pedal (this goes away temporarily when I put in
the clutch and rev the engine), a rough idle, it
comes close to killing all the time in stop and go
traffic when I put in the clutch, it turns over 7 or
8 times before it starts then dies right away if I
don't give it gas, and it misses all the time when I
want to accelerate.  The code the car is giving me
is 1222 which one book told me was oxygen sensor
regulation, and another told me was Lambda contol 1.
I replaced the oxygen sensor but that didn't seem to
help much except for the first hour or so after I
replaced it.  I checked the voltage on the O2 sensor
and it seemed to be within specs and fluctuating
with engine speed.  I'm a college student and can't
afford to have a dealer diagnos it and/or fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Josh Stottlemyer
josh.stot@domain.elided