525i vs 535i

Hey Ted... you and I are looking for the same car!  Have you checked out
the 535i at Weatherley BMW in Berkeley?

> Ted  <tedcrum@domain.elided> wrote:
> >In considering a used BMW to add to my stable, I am looking at the 1989
> >535i, 5sp, and the 1991 (VANOS) 525i 5sp.
> >
> >I expect the latter to have an edge in efficiency and smoothness, but can
> >anyone who has driving both regularly suggest which "drives better",
> >especially in terms of real world engine performance.

I've test driven both a '90 535iA and '93 525iA in the last day (the 'A'
just cause I'm killing time while waiting for a 5-speed in my local
market).  The 525i had VANOS and was swift and composed, but not oh-my
fast.  The 535i was more of a muscle car (at least to my eta-jaded
senses)... much more neck-snapping lunge off the line, and a bit more
ferocious rush to redline.  Both engines were turbine-smooth and both
cars were poised and composed (again in comparison to my 528e); I
couldn't particularly feel the 535's extra weight, but I wasn't driving
in serious twisties either.  I *was* unable to overlook the fact that
after my test drive, the 525's OBC read 22 mpg, and the 535's read 12
mpg.

Different personalities... horses for courses.  I'm going to let fate
decide for me, in the form of whichever comes along first with a 5-speed
(in good shape of course).  Down here on the coast there isn't a lot to
choose from.

A few other questions for the list... Anyone driven and care to comment
on an '89-'91 525i (with M20 engine)?   On both the 535 and the 525 I
found the interior wood a little too Jaguar-like...and the instruments a
little plastic-y.  I understand the wood started in '90 for the 535 and
'93 for the 525?

And lastly... is there any E34 info (pre-purchase inspection stuff,
driving impressions, etc) out there on the web, other than the useful
material at Dale Beuning's site?

regards,
Ed Mellinger
Monterey CA