Exhaust howl

I have a 1995 325i UK spec.  Ever since I bought the car I thought that
it sounded a bit throaty.  I took it to an independant garage who said
that there were carbon deposits on the back box and that could indicate
a small hole.  I then took it to BMW who said that this deposit was
normal, they do sound throaty and it has passed all the emissions tests.
However I am not convinced as it appears to be getting louder - Almost
as if I had a Scorpion exhaust on there.
I'm only 25 but I'm not a boy racer!!!
Any ideas ?

Nathan Mailto:nburton@domain.elided