<M50>"Made in Slovenia" oil filters... (fwd)

Sorry if this is arepost -- I didn't see it get to the list...

OK, before any of you native Slovenians get your undies in a knot, I am in
no way trying to disparage Slovenia nor its inhabitants/descendants.

Recently, I needed an oil filter for a change in the 525, and I discovered
that I had run out (I usually mail-order the Mann ones in bulk), so I
stopped by a local dealer and picked a couple up.  These, unlike previous
dealer purchases or the Mann, which had all been made in Austria, were
made in Slovenia.  "OK", I said, "good for Eastern Europe".

Anyways, when torqueing down the oil filter cap, I noticed that it seemed
to snug-down a little more than usual.  I wrote that off as an abberation
in my memory, and just went about my business.  Then, I start to notice
some oil spots in my driveway, which I haven't seen since before the 02's
motor transplant.  I immediately suspect the 02 anyways, but its clean as
a whistle.  Wife's car also innocent.  The 5 was leaking!  Just a little,
traced it down to the oil filter cap.

Went back to the dealer, asked him to find a "made in Austria" oil filter
- -- same part number stamped on it.  I took it home to measure against the
other new Slovenian filter, and it turns out that the Slovenian filter is
~2mm shorter than the Austrian one.  Apparently, the filter cap depends a
little bit on the filter when its getting torqued down to prevent collapse
of the rubber sealing ring.  Or something like that.

Just wanted to ask if anybody else has had this experience, or at least
bring this up as a potential problem.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX

 PS- of course I always replace sealing rings & crush washers...