RE:'95 540

The nikasil cylinder degradation comes from a high content of "sulphur" in
the gas, not sodium.  The sulphur content in fuel on the west coast is very
low and should not pose a problem.  There are listers on the west coast who
have had no problems for over 100k mi on their x30s and x40s.  And some on
the list who have had engines replaced; I'm sure where they are located.
The engine has a warranty extension up to 100k mi because of the material
selection and possible problems.

I have a '95 540iA with 50k on the original M60 engine with no signs of
trouble.  I first had concerns because my car was originally leased in
Miami (higher sulphur content) and I was having problems getting answers
from a local dealership.  I am happy now.  It's a tremendously fun car with
lots of grunt.  It could use some reduction in body roll in the
twisty-turnies though.  I'm in the process of convincing my wife we can't
live without these upgrades.

You should check out Brett Anderson's and the 530 web sites for more
detailed information.

Happy Motoring,

John Fagerlund
'95 540iA, BMWeee