535 oil leak

Joel wrote:
My '88 535i just sprung a big oil leak. Unfortunately it's dripping on
the exhaust, so I don't think it's wise to drive it, and my other
vehicle is in the shop (the 2002 is headless at the moment).

It seems to be coming out the back of the head, of course there's not
really enough room to take a look. The oil sensor
looks to be ok. Should I replace the head gasket, or is there some other
fitting back there that can leak?
typical 535 problem.

There are two possibilitys:

1. the backside oil cap at the cylinder head

2. the oil sensor itself, the oil will be pumped through the cable cover

Check this.

Regards

Chris

chris@domain.elided