<V8> re:New guy questions

Keith Fromme sez
>I just subscribed to the mailing list and just want to make sure that I
>am doing this correctly and to ask a couple of questions.

glad to see you.. just one tip - try and keep your posts short and to the
point.. a lot of people see lots of text and their eyes glaze over :)

>So I have my eye on a 95 540i.  It is loaded, I guess they all come that
>way, with 40,000 miles.  It appears to be immaculate, with the exeption
>of the tires.  They need replacing.

being a mustang driver, I'm sure you are used to replacing the rear tires :)

>The car sits level, but the rear tires sit inside the fenderwell more
>that the front.

I'm thinking this is normal... just a matter of taste I guess.
(I think having big spaces between wheel and body looks silly. go figure)

>The other thing is, when I drove it, I got on the
>gas a good bit to try it out, and when I shifted into 2nd (it's a 6
>speed) the rpm's went up to about 5000 and stayed there for a second
>then the cars speed picked up and caught up and the rpms went up like
>they should.

this is not normal.
There is no weird fancy bmw computer thingy. It is just a regular car. :)
There *is* probably traction control.. (with a button on the console to
turn it off).. but this shows itself by reducing gas to the engine and
brake application.. not by clutch slipping

A couple of possibilities:
1) clutch is shot. Stick it in 5th gear while going slow and floor it.
 If it slips, it will slip then.
2) bmws have hydraulic clutches.. engagement point is often
 quite high compared to other cars. Perhaps you had not completely released
 the clutch before flooring it ?

I have a friend who often does that when driving my car. It takes him a little
while to get used to the different clutch.

>Is this a technical mailing list?  I hope so, with all the questions I
>asked.

it is an everything list. Ask away, but be prepared for lots of people
complaining and arguing also. sigh.

A good place to start looking for BMW related information on the WEB is
http://www.bmwlinks.com/

Now, there are some problems with BMW V8s.. for a few years, the engines
would basically fall apart pretty quick. Brett Anderson has some real
good info on his web page - check it out so you know the truth before
you buy.

http://www.bestweb.net/~bretta/v8shortblock.htm

hope this helps

chris pawlowicz