Engine oil (resend)

I have just bought an ex UK '88 325i SE. I know it's history and it
has 87K genuine miles on the clock. It's been serviced regularly,
(the book has the BMW Dealers stamp on every service), but I
don't know what type of engine oil has been used. The
complication here is that the Dealer is in England, and I now have
the car in New Zealand. The UK spec. 325i SE was the highest
performance 325 back then, developing a little over 171bhp. Having
in mind our very mild climate in northern NZ where a frost is a rare
occurence, and summer temps regularly climb into the 90'sF,
would a 15W40 oil be OK? It's likely to be a Shell oil due to a
business connection I have and they market (in NZ) a 15W40
which is synthetic based. (Shell Helix Plus) It's not a full synthetic
and they describe it as "semi-synthetic".
Any advice welcomed.

Paul Graveling
88 325i SE
89Toyota Four Runner.